Historical Preservation

Many residents of the hamlet are concerned about the loss of our heritage, especially as we watch many fine older structures be torn down with or without the Town’s consent. There is no landmarks or formal designation or law to protect these assets at present. Ann Sanford has written an extensive report on the hamlet’s heritage area and we encourage our members to read it and comment on this topic, It seems a particular sensttive point for the future of Bridgehampton

Link to Report

Comments (3)

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

  1. Comment by rfrasier — September 1, 2009 @ 7:01 pm

    Is it possible to amend the report to include heritage resources that Ann Sandford’s report does not incluce? Is there an interest in expanding the information on resources that are a part of the report?

  2. Comment by Jeffrey Vogel — September 2, 2009 @ 12:29 pm

    Well yes and no, Ann’s report is her work and has been presented to the Town board, I suggest that if you have some specific properties and ideas on preservation ,that you post them here.We are collecting material from community members to make a hamlet study that more accurately reflects the will and desires of the community of the hamlet

  3. Comment by rfrasier — September 2, 2009 @ 2:42 pm

    We have reviewed with great interest the Bridgehampton Hamlet Heritage Area Report prepared by Ann Sandford, dated January, 2009. As property owners in Bridgehampton, we are very supportive of the stated goal of this work: to “protect the historic character of the hamlets and neighborhood areas within the Town.”

    While the report as it stands makes a good start in achieving this goal, we believe that it does not go far enough. Sandford focuses on the historic resources in the Main Street Heritage Area as requested, and included other resources she believes to be “equally important…because they have contributed to the community’s heritage, are located near the heritage area, or possess unique attributes.”

    We suggest that the report be officially expanded to include other Areas. Additionally, we suggest that a formal and well publicized process be developed to provide for additions to the Report, as well as for corrections and general editing as needed, in order to ensure the highest degree of accuracy possible.

    We are very interested in submitting an application to have our house listed as a heritage resource. Our house was on the same property as the Howard Halsey House on Main Street (Tax map 900-86-1-4) which is recognized in the heritage study. Our cottage is older than the Main Street property, and it is identified with the same historic person, Howard Halsey (important in his own right, and in addition, a seventh generation direct descendant of Thomas Halsey).

    Three other homes of historic significance on Church Lane may include the four square farmhouse style of 86-1-11, the home of Cathie and Earl Gandel; the Victorian farmhouse style of 86-1-16.2, the home of Brady Anderson; and the colonial revival style of 86-1-17, the Mark Fasteau house which was formerly the “Pulver House” (owner of the Pulver Gas Company). The Pulver Gas Company office building (86-1-17) is cited as an historical building on Main Street.

    Finally, we suggest that it would be appropriate for the former Sinclair Gas Station (69-5-9), which was designed (1952) by architect Arthur Newman, the Presbyterian minister’s son, and close, lifelong, friend of the owner of the station and his wife, Gordon and Edna Thompson, to be noted as an historical building. The gas station was a hub of commerce, emergency assistance, community activity, public service, and news for at least a half century. The Strong Body Shop (located behind the service station on Corwith Avenue) was also owned in later years by Gordon Thompson. The two buildings now house a hair dressing salon and a realtor’s office, (the Strong Building) and two antique shops and a florist shop (the former Sinclair Station).

    Gordon Thompson was a participant with Court Rodgers in the early days of Fireman sponsored street races, which began in 1915 and continued through 1921. When street racing was revived in 1949, well known drivers such as Sterling Moss had their cars serviced at Thompson’s Sinclair Station. A recent book, Bridgehampton Racing: From the Streets to the Bridge, by Joel Finn, describes technical inspection before a 1953 race at the Sinclair gas station in Bridgehampton and includes a photograph. (Note: McCoy Fuel Co. at 2823 Montauk Highway was included in the Hamlet Heritage Area Report).

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.